Building in Garden Paws is a creative endeavor. Maybe at some point in the game you decided to experiment with building your own house. Maybe you dove right into Creative Mode with some friends.
Whatever your reasons for wanting to put on your Construction Vest, the game's got you covered with plenty of customization options.
In order to fully take advantage of building, you will need a Hammer and an Item Shifter. You can place items without those tools, but you will not be able to move or pick up items without them. Experienced builders always have them on hand.
Floors & Pathways
Walls & Doorways
Fences & Dividers
The following items create their own source of light. Most can be toggled on or off by activating them:
There are two types of customization Paintbrushes:
- Wall and Floor Brushes, which provide a ton of color and pattern options with each brush
- Furniture Brushes, which paint solid colors. Vibrant shades for Light Wood furniture, and pastels for Birch Wood.
- Note: Glass walls and floors are an exception, and can only be painted solid colors with Furniture Brushes.
Every week or two, the developers hold a Creative Challenge of some kind on Discord. Sometimes it's simple, like using the Birch Wood furniture set. Sometimes it's complicated, like building mazes or 2D levels.
If challenges are not your thing, then build at your own pace. You can share screenshots with the rest of the Discord community in a separate screenshot channel. Or join and just lurk for ideas!
- Walls can only initially be built on an previously-placed floor piece, such as a Wooden Foundation or Wooden Platform.
- In Story Mode, the player will not be allowed to build in the Town of Florens until they have purchased the Small Castle from the Upgrade Table.
- Building pieces, furniture, and items cannot be placed directly in caves (exception being the Waterfall Passage after purchasing the rights from Town Hall). The items must be placed outside and moved in using the Item Shifter. Items with activation hotspots (chests, habitats, etc) may not be interactable once shifted into a cave, and can only be moved or removed using the Shifter or Hammer's selection mode.