Raising animals can not only be fun, but it can also give the player access to new items. This can range from common delicate fur, to rare golden poop drops.
Players should be aware that:
- Animals need specific habitats in order to be raised by the player
- Once an animal reaches its adult phase, it no longer needs to be fed
- Many animals are mountable and can be ridden on by the player.
- Not all animals are immediately available to the player to raise, as many animals can be locked behind NPCs and certain buildings or quest lines (such as the Poppy and their Animal Shop).
Animals can be raised to drop items, such as feathers and eggs, that can be used to complete quests or in crafting recipes. Some animals can also be used to gain specific items, such as milk. Cows produce Cow Milk and goats produce Goat Milk, for example.
Most animals (as of current build of the game) utilize the same process in ordered to be raised by the player. This process can be broken into two parts: taming and raising.
Note: Not all animals are currently tamable, but can be purchased through a NPC's shop (such as Poppy's & Jacob's) in order to be raised.
The taming process:
- Requires the player to find and feed an animal in the wild for a number of days consecutively, which increases the animal's trust in the player.
- This process can be seen in the blue bar that appears over the animal (will appear empty if there is no progress).
- Failure to feed the animal consecutively will result in the animal's trust resetting by one day.
- When the blue bar is full, the animal will start following the player.
- The player can then lead the animal to its respected habitat. For animals being tamed far away from home, it is suggested to bring their habitat along to the tamed animal if possible.When the animal makes contact with its habitat, a pop-up will appear notifying the player the taming process is complete. This pop-up will also ask the player to name the animal, if the player chooses to.
- Note: Taming an animal will make the animal into an item that the player can put in their pet slot. Doing so causes the animal to become the player's follower.
The raising process:
- Starts right after the taming process is complete. Raising an animal causes it to mature into its adult form, if it has one.
- Similar to the taming process, the player is required to feed the animal in their habitat consecutively.
- Failure to feed the animal consecutively will result in the animal's maturity resetting by one day.
- Once the animal reaches its adult form, it will no longer need to be fed (unless the player wants to, but it is not required).
- Adult forms of animals can also drop new items for the player (such as Delicate Fur, Feathers, and even Golden Poop)
Habitats are small pre-built areas that can be either made by the player through crafting, or through Frank's Upgrade Table.
These habitats are used to tame and raise animals that they are specified for. If the player wishes to raise any and all animals, the player will need to have access to each animal's respected habitats. Getting access to specific habitats may require the player to complete certain quests or tasks, if they are not already available in the Upgrade Table. Once unlocked and made, habitats can be upgraded to hold more animals.
The following table outlines existing habitats, as well as their requirements and animal types:
|Cat Habitat|| Must have completed|
|Bunny Habitat|| Must have completed|
|Barn|| Must have completed|
"Building the Barn"
|Duck Pond|| Must have completed|
"Duck Habitat Resources"
|Dog House|| Must have collected|
"Animal Product Collection"
|Stable|| Must have completed|
"How to build a Stable."
|Forest Habitat|| Purchase from|
Furniture Blueprint Seller
|Ferret Habitat|| Purchase from|
Furniture Blueprint Seller
|Dung Beetle Habitat|| Must have collected|
Some animals are mountable, meaning they can be ridden by the player. Depending on the animal, movement speed and jump height is either reduced or increased. Also, mounting is a feature that is only available for the adult forms of certain animals:
1.) Remove the adult animal from its habitat.
2.) Place the animal in the pet slot.
3.) A "Ride" option will appear when your pet comes near you.
4.) In order to get off, click "F" on the keyboard.