Taming is needed for wild animals. Baby animals must be raised.
For specific locations of wild animals, see Detailed Map.
- Habitats: Many animals cannot be tamed until the player has unlocked and built the required habitat.
- NPCs: Access to some animals (Alpacas and Pigs for instance) requires certain characters to move to the town (such as Poppy and their Animal Shop).
- Quests: Some animals (such as Ducks or the Dog) are not accessible until completion of certain quest lines that unlock new areas of the Main Island.
- Access to Islands: Some animals (such as Hippos and Ferrets) are found on Outer Islands that the player will not initially be able to reach without a Glider or another way to get across the water.
- Preferred Food: The player might not initially have access to the feed item an animal prefers, or the tool needed to acquire it. Animal feed can be purchased from certain NPCs once they are unlocked.
Both adult and baby animals can be found in Animal Mystery Boxes bought at the Summer Festival for 150 Summer Tickets, found in Decorative Eggs during the Spring Festival, or received as quest rewards.
Once a wild animal is located, the player can begin the taming process by feeding it the required food for a certain number of consecutive days.
To feed an animal, have their preferred food in the hotbar and press E when the heart icon can be seen above the animal. If done correctly, the blue bar will increase.
|Animal||Food Required||Days to|
|Dung Beetle||Beetle Feed||10|
|Legendary Mounts||Legendary Feed||1 (Instant)|
Progress can be seen in the blue bar that appears over the animal when it is approached. The bar will appear empty if the animal has not been fed at least once recently.
Failure to feed an animal for a day will result in the bar decreasing by one day per day missed.
When the progress bar is full, the animal will start following the player and can be lead to its respective habitat.
- Convenience Tip: It is recommended to carry the animal's habitat in your inventory and place it next to the animal before feeding it the final time. Once the animal has been tamed and removed from the habitat, pick the habitat back up with a Hammer.
When the animal makes contact with its habitat, a pop-up will appear notifying the player that the animal has been tamed and allow the player to name the animal if they wish.
Naming the animal (even if the name is blank) completes the taming process.
After being placed in a habitat, the player must feed the baby animal every day consecutively for a certain number of days for the animal to mature:
|Animal||Food Required||Days to|
|Baby Goat, Lamb||Hay||10|
The animal's maturity status can be viewed when opening the habitat.
Failure to feed the animal consecutively will reset the animal's maturity by one day.
- A Feeding Trough can be used to auto-feed baby animals, but the proper amount of the feed must be placed in the trough ahead of time.
Once the animal reaches its adult form, it will always show as "Full" and no longer needs to be fed. (The player may still do so if they wish, but it is not required and does not have any effect on items the animal may produce.)
- ↑ There is a known bug where feeding a wild animal on the last day will complete the taming bar and emit hearts, but the animal will not follow the player. It must be fed again before it will follow.
- ↑ If the player fully feeds an animal but fails to tame it that day (such as passing out before making it to the habitat), there is a small chance the animal will respawn the next day with full progress intact. Feeding the animal will cause it to follow the player again. This does not apply to rare animals and Legendary Mounts. If they are not tamed by the end of the day, they disappear.
|Alpaca • Baby Alpaca • Baby Goat • Bear • Big Bunny • Big Chicken • Big Penguin • Bunny • Calf • Caped Cat • Cat • Chick • Chicken • Cow • Deer • Dog • Duck • Duckling • Dung Beetle • Elk • Ferret • Foal • Fox • Galaxy Penguin • Ghost Cat • Goat • Grey Ferret • Hedgehog • Hippo • Horse • Kitsune • Legendary Beetle • Legendary Kitsune • Legendary Night Fox • Mallard Duck • Mallard Duckling • Pegasus • Penguin • Pig • Piglet • Polar Bear • Sheep • Skunk • Stone Fox • Unicorn|
|Animal List • Taming and Raising Animals • Feed Trough • Habitats • Mounts • Animal Sanctuary|