Taming is needed for wild animals. Baby animals must be raised.
For specific locations of wild animals, see Detailed Map.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
Not all animals are immediately available to find, purchase, or tame at the start of the game, and may require specific circumstances to unlock:
- Habitats: Many animals cannot be tamed until the player has unlocked and built the required habitat.
- NPCs: Access to some animals (Alpacas and Pigs for instance) requires certain characters to move to the town (such as Poppy and their Animal Shop).
- Quests: Some animals (such as Ducks or the Dog) are not accessible until completion of certain quest lines that unlock new areas of the Main Island.
- Access to Islands: Some animals (such as Hippos and Ferrets) are found on Outer Islands that the player will not initially be able to reach without a Glider or another way to get across the water.
- Preferred Food: The player might not initially have access to the feed item an animal prefers, or the tool needed to acquire it. Animal feed can be purchased from certain NPCs once they are unlocked.
Both adult and baby animals can be found in Animal Mystery Boxes bought at the Summer Festival for 150 Summer Tickets, found in Decorative Eggs during the Spring Festival, or received as quest rewards.
Instructions[edit | edit source]
Feeding Animals[edit | edit source]
To feed an animal, walk up to it while holding its preferred food in the active hotbar slot. You should see an icon above the animal that matches the food, along with an empty status bar.
Press E next to the animal to feed it. The item will be consumed and you will see heart emotes appear, along with a filled heart above the animal. The status bar will now be partially filled blue.
The blue bar indicates how far into the taming or raising process the animal is, giving a rough idea of how many days are left. The bar will already be visible if the animal has been fed on previous days. It will appear empty if the animal has not been fed at least once recently.
Taming[edit | edit source]
Once a wild animal is located, the player can begin the taming process by feeding it the required food for a certain number of consecutive days.
Skipping a day will move the taming progress bar backward by one day. If too many days are skipped, the bar will reset.
|Animal||Food Required||Days to|
|Dung Beetle||Beetle Feed||10|
|Legendary Mounts||Legendary Feed||1 (Instant)|
When the progress bar is full, the animal will start following the player and can be lead to its respective habitat.
- Convenience Tip: It is recommended to carry the animal's habitat in your inventory and place it next to the animal before feeding it the final time. Once the animal has been tamed and removed from the habitat, pick the habitat back up with a Hammer.
When the animal makes contact with its habitat, a pop-up will appear notifying the player that the animal has been tamed and allow the player to name the animal if they wish.
Naming the animal (even if the name is blank) completes the taming process.
Raising[edit | edit source]
After being placed in a habitat, the player must feed the baby animal every day consecutively for a certain number of days for the animal to mature.
Skipping a day will pause the progress bar until it is fed again in the future.
Animals in habitats can be fed either by pressing E next to them while holding their preferred food, or opening the habitat window and dragging the food onto their icon.
|Animal||Food Required||Days to|
|Baby Goat, Lamb||Hay||10|
The animal's maturity status can be viewed when opening the habitat.
- A Feeding Trough can be used to auto-feed baby animals, but the proper amount of the feed must be placed in the trough ahead of time.
Once the animal reaches its adult form, it will always show as "Full" and no longer needs to be fed. (The player may still do so if they wish, but it is not required and does not have any effect on items the animal may produce.)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There is a known bug where feeding a wild animal on the last day will complete the taming bar and emit hearts, but the animal will not follow the player. It must be fed again before it will follow.
- If the player fully feeds an animal but fails to tame it that day (such as passing out before making it to the habitat), there is a small chance the animal will respawn the next day with full progress intact. Feeding the animal will cause it to follow the player again. This does not apply to rare animals and Legendary Mounts. If they are not tamed by the end of the day, they disappear.
|Animal List • Taming and Raising • Breeding • Feed Trough • Habitats • Mounts • Animal Sanctuary|
|Alpaca • Baby Alpaca • Bear • Big Bunny • Big Chicken • Big Penguin • Bunny • Calf • Caped Cat • Cat • Chick • Chicken • Cow • Deer • Dog • Duck • Duckling • Dung Beetle • Elk • Ferret • Foal • Fox • Galaxy Penguin • Ghost Cat • Goat • Grey Ferret • Hedgehog • Hippo • Horse • Kitsune • Kitten • Lamb • Legendary Beetle • Legendary Kitsune • Legendary Night Fox • Mallard Duck • Mallard Duckling • Pegasus • Penguin • Pig • Piglet • Polar Bear • Sheep • Skeleton Horse • Skunk • Stone Fox • Unicorn|